Wednesday 21 August 2013

In the wake of a New Phase of Life…






I Love the word ”Nurture”…..

My son has a pretty Fiancee now… and I am at a juncture in life where a new and beautiful member is soon going to join my close knit family.

We were “Four” we will be “Five”… I love the nurturing component that we are so invisibly working on. Nurturing a relationship can seem confusing at first. But consciously working on it almost feels the same as nurturing your own self. It was so much easier when I decided to look at our relationship as three entities gathered together—myself, the new member and the relationship—it is so much easier to understand.

Each one of these entities needs to be nurtured.

Being able to nurture the “us” part of our life can be a little complicated with work, and life, being as challenging as it is. Yet nurturing can become almost second nature because it feels so positive when it’s working. The idea here is that welcoming the new person, who is so dear to your son, one you love more than your right eye, and the relationship that binds you…. There was a need to make it a part of your normal behavior.

Nurturing can never be difficult to master, especially if you grew up in a family that was very nurturing, however it’s an easy thing to learn and quite pleasant when you finally get the hang of it. It all started with a desire to be closer to the one who is loving my son so dearly. Letting the person know, expressing in verbal words, and not assuming that she is expected to understand the “unsaid”. It was very pivotal for me to let her know that I value the person in her and that she is a precious inclusion in the family. And all this, not in a pressuring way but in a manner that conveyed how much happier we both will be once our relationship feels nurtured.

Actions to show that you care, though some may take a little effort, is well worth it. Thinking of it as an interest-bearing account keeps me going. Once you put energy into your relationship, it pays back rich dividends like bonding-contentment, excitement, joy, and focus. You get back much more than you put in. The feeling is like the vast sky then!

Simple acts of communication, although we are in the same city and apart, like texting, e-mailing, sharing ideas about how to spend a worthy weekend, giving a hand in baby-sitting her pet dog, helping in events, were some of the ways that really helped me to let her know that I value her, and communicating this way, brought us so close.

Barriers diminished … as we embraced the fact that we were there for each other. We never met for days, even months but somehow I never felt we were away from one another. I learnt to carry the love of a growing relationship with myself during my busiest workdays; it made life a little sweeter.

This blog post is especially for all mothers who are getting ready to become mother-in-laws. Remember you have to pave the path, you have to reach out first, you have to create the bonding and treat the emerging relationship as the topmost priority in life.

If you want a powerful bonding, your relationship needs to be nurtured!! Any relationship needs support and space to work things out.

As a mother I had to acknowledge my own anxiety and find the courage to step back, remembering that relationships thrive best in an environment that is reliable, consistent, and non-interfering.




8 comments:

  1. Liked reading this a lot! How true! I have a daughter who has a boyfriend and we all like him. As an Indian woman with all the inherent baggage, I hope I will welcome my sons' fiancees with as much love as you have described and as I had hoped for, when I was newly married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khuuuuuuuuub bhalo laglo. It truly reflects your inner self. God Bless You

    ReplyDelete
  3. Khhhhhuuuuuuuub sundor. God Bless You

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kakima, she is really lucky to have you as her mother-in-law !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sanjukta......Wonderful to meet you ,greet you and read you in blog world, "We were “Four” we will be “Five”… I love the nurturing component that we are so invisibly working on"" wonderful concept and your heart already welcomed the person into your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved what you had to write. You are a beautiful and a very sensitive person. You are spiritually very gifted that's why you have such high thinking. Thank you so much for writing for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am new to your blog. I like your post. I have a son in law for seven years now. I now have five grandchildren, as my daughter just had a baby son. Despite cultural differences to some extent, we have all learned that to be together in love is the most important thing. It is necessary to see your daughter as still close and part of your family, whilst being able to allow detachment and acknowledging that your daughter and son have their own family and space is needed, nurturing comes naturally if you do not interfere, respect their values and love them unconditionally. They will parent the best if supported and assisted by an unconditional thought that requires no duty. What is yours is never lost if it is given freedom.

    I have started a new blog recently where I would love to have people also speak of things they find in the Connection to spirit and life. It can be found on www.katherinebrightsbooks.com I hope to be able to bond with some very good people who I find on this site. There is a gentle sensitivity in you and thanks for making the connection, love and light Katherine Bright

    ReplyDelete